Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Baja Bash

My dad is in the air on his flight from LAX into Los Cabos airport, scheduled to arrive at 6:50 pm. Once I pick him up, we'll get some dinner and take a quick nap before waking up at 3 am to head out for San Diego.

The trip from Cabo to San Diego is known as the "Baja Bash" because most of the time you are smashing into waves from the dominant north westerly winds. The forecast right now looks ok with winds less than 15 knots and Friday and Saturday around 5 knots from the northwest. However, later next week the low pressure system coming into California may produce some westerly winds which would really help us be able to sail.

In any case, Erica, Bridget and I had a great trip across from Puerto Vallarta to San Jose del Cabo. Winds allowed us to sail to within 30 miles of the harbor which was really nice after the long motor up from Huatulco. After we did some sightseeing around San Jose and Cabo San Lucas, they flew home Sunday.

Enjoy some pictures! If all goes well, my dad and I could be in San Diego by next weekend! Otherwise it may be Tuesday the 28th, just in time for my dad's flight out on the 29th. I plan on stopping in Turtle Bay and Ensenada, but have a bunch of other anchorages scoped out in case of bad weather or engine/rigging failures.

Last sunset in Puerto Vallarta. The colors were spectacular.

Erica's first watch!

Bridget staying cool below decks

Erica being a sailor

Erica not impressed by my picture taking.

The drunken sailor bar! I went here when I was here three years ago, didn't get a chance this time.

The girls enjoying hard earned margaritas on our first day in San Jose.

Tamales are still here, though I didn't see any nuns... they also weren't quite as good as I remembered, though still pretty darn good.

Bridget presents a safety moment. These electrical wires were hanging right over the stairs for the pedestrian overpass.

Lover's beach in Cabo San Lucas. We took at water taxi from the main marina for $10 each and I got to jump off a big rock on the way out. That's money well spent!

Erica and I on Lover's beach. Dawwww...

Erica was soooo excited about the springbreakers... NOT! We all agreed it was much better that we stayed in Puerto Vallarta for the majority of the time.

Concert/danceoff/beauty pageant in downtown San Jose

Sunday brunch with Erica before she left. Some of the best eggs benedict I've ever had

Decent pizza at Fiorenza's, but I found better stuff the next night at Toro''s Pizza, which is right next to the marina.

Sirocco's spot for a few days

I won't be using this as a navigational chart, but it gives a nice idea of just how completely desolate the next part of the trip is.

Burger at Retro Burger

Pecan/date pie for pie day! Not incredible but probably the best I could find in San Jose.

These cows just roamed around everywhere in the marina. Sometimes they would really spook me at night.

Last sunrise in Puerto Los Cabos! Next stop, San Diego!

No comments:

Post a Comment