Friday, December 9, 2016

Last Day in USVI

After a wonderful week with my parents, time to say goodbye and look west toward Panama. The winds look very good through the next week so I believe we should have a quick trip to the Canal where I can coordinate a transit.

On Wednesday we traveled to the British Virgin Islands to visit the very westernmost part of Tortola, West End. It was a very small group of restaurants and shops near the mooring field and marina. Though the buildings were very pretty, there was not much to do. However, the mooring field is very protected and would have been a great jumping off point to visit the rest of the BVIs.

Thursday we went to Salt Pond Bay which has some amazing coral near the middle of the bay. It centers around two rock points that come from about 25 feet up to the surface. The amount of coral diversity and subsequent diversity in the fish and animals on the reef is impressive. As an added bonus, the beach is the usual fine white sand that is just perfect for laying on.

I'm going to use Google Photos to share the majority of my photos from now on because Blogger is very slow to load photos over bad internet connections, which will be the norm until I get to San Diego. Check out the link here!

A true pirate ship! The "Ocean Star" is a learning ship for students who want to do a semester at sea. The captain was expertly parking her in a slip at West End, Tortola, BVI
Sirocco moored up in Salt Pond Bay, St. John, USVI
A beautiful sunset before the next leg even starts!
My mom expertly steering along coming back from Tortola
I'm sure the one foot on the wheel kept us going more or less the right direction...
My dad enjoying the relaxing motor up to Salt Pond Bay. My mom liked this photo because of the splashing waves
t

No comments:

Post a Comment